Lemon tart in verrines, by Justine Tanachian
Lemon tart in verrines
by Justine Tanachian
Preparation 15 mn
Ingredients for 6 persons
For the base
Digestive biscuits 250g
30 g butter
1 tsp lemon zest
For the curd
2 lemons zest and juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cream
For the meringue top
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 room temperature egg whites, preferably from fresh eggs
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar, or 1 tsp lemon juice
– Mix the crushed biscuits, butter and lemon zest in a bowl and divide then in between the verrines you want to use.
– Put the lemon zest, juice, sugar and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
– Stir occasionally until the butter has melted.
– Then, using a small whisk , stir in the beaten egg.
– Keep gently whisking the mixture over the heat for around 10 min until thickened like custard.
– Add the cream cook for 2 more minutes and turn the heat off.
– Allow to cool a little and then pour over the biscuit layer.
– Refrigerate for 30 minutes minimum.
– In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Heat over high heat, Cook until sugar syrup registers 240°F or 115C on a candy thermometer.
– Meanwhile, combine egg whites and cream of tartar or lemon juice in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
– Set mixer to medium speed and mix until soft peaks form about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, carefully and slowly drizzle in hot sugar syrup. Increase speed to high and whip until desired stiffness is achieved.
– Top the verrines with a full tbsp of the meringue once cooled